Deliciously soft and comforting matcha green tea cookie with white chocolate chips that satisfies with every bite. This easy matcha green tea cookie recipe is just what you need for a tasty snack break or as a holiday treat!
There are various cookie recipes out there, and everyone has their own favorite. But whether you’re a matcha lover or a frequent baker exploring the realm of flavors, this easy matcha green tea cookie with white chocolate chip recipe is one that you should definitely try. All it needs is just ten minutes of baking time and a little preparation ahead.
What does matcha green tea cookie taste like?
While experimenting with the flavor profiles of matcha in various beverages and dessert recipes, we discovered a heavenly combination with white chocolate chips! The delicious sweetness in white chocolate chips perfectly balances out the bittersweet flavors of matcha in this matcha green tea cookie recipe. We also made some effort to reduce the use of sugar in this recipe. Perfect if you’re trying to cut down on sweeteners or prefer less sweet desserts.
Our recommended matcha blend for the matcha green tea cookie recipe
For this matcha green tea cookie recipe, you don’t need the highest quality grade matcha there is in the market. The sweetness of the white chocolate chips and vanilla extract in this matcha green tea cookie recipe will overwhelm most of the nuanced flavors of top quality matcha. It will also make your matcha cookies quite expensive in ingredient costs! We want it easy, fun and affordable for you.
All you need is a good culinary grade matcha blend that’s great for baking. If you’re interested to know more about the difference between culinary grade and ceremonial grade matcha, click here. But what do we mean by this? Choose a good quality culinary grade matcha with decent color and actual matcha flavor. Too often, matcha sold as culinary grade is completely bitter or lacking in any taste and the end result is baked goods with scarcely any matcha flavors. A good culinary grade matcha should enhance the baked good with matcha flavor and not merely make it look green in color.
Now, let’s get the baking going with our white chocolate chips matcha green tea cookie recipe!
How to bake soft crunchy matcha green tea cookies with white chocolate chips
The best thing about this matcha green tea cookie recipe is that it is really forgiving. We are really novices when it comes to baking, but with some simple experimenting and help from Google, we managed to produce really lovely matcha green tea cookies.
Tip: After making the matcha cookie dough, chill it in the fridge for a few hours. This makes it much easier to shape and work with!
- 7 oz /200 g all-purpose flour
- 3.5 oz /100 g white caster sugar
- 4 oz /110 g unsalted butter
- 1.4 oz /40 g brown sugar
- 4.2 oz /120 g white chocolate chips
- 0.5 oz /1 tbsp matcha powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 0.5 tsp baking powder
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- First, mix the butter, white sugar and brown sugar together in a stand mixer on medium. Gradually increase the speed until evenly mixed.
2. Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and matcha powder.
3. Mix in the egg and vanilla extract, gradually lower your mixer speed setting until everything is evenly incorporated and you get a dough like texture.
4. Add white chocolate chips and mix in evenly.
5. Portion the dough out onto a baking tray. We love our cookies bite sized, so we weighed out about 0.35 oz (10g) of dough per cookie and shaped them into a ball.
6. Preheat the oven to 320F (160C) and bake for 10 minutes.
7. Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes and enjoy!